Who knew Pinterest would be addicting?! That said, I obviously was browsing and came across a picture of an Emilio Pucci jacket. It looked like a quilted faux leather jacket that had a unique quilted detail design. I was like whoa!!! Saved that in my board for inspiration just in case.
Fast forward a little bit of time and I’m browsing along the aisles of Joanns Fabrics. There sitting pretty was this faux leather fabric that had a quilted stitching design on it. Guess what?! It was almost identical to the Emilio Pucci Jacket!!!!! You got that right I wanted to get it but I had to wait until a Joanns famous coupon popped up to get it.
Well let’s fast forward just a little more. I wanted to make this jacket and was looking threw my pattern stash and found the perfect pattern jacket to make it out of. NewLooks D0565.
There is one problem… the pattern isn’t made with a lining just facings for the jacket. That’s no problem because I’m going to school for pattern drafting.
Away I went drafting a lining for this jacket and wha la!
It fits and has plenty of movement for the jacket!
My favorite color is red, especially a deep red. It suites my skin tone and my personality haha! I was shopping online and came across two fabrics. They were from Alyssa-May Design fabrics. One stripped fabric and the other a beautiful red floral bubbled crepe!
How beautiful this would be in a maxi length dress?! After talking to Alyssa from Alyssa-May designs we decided to collaborate on this fabric! I was beyond excited. I wanted to make this fabric’s beauty shine!
Now off to finding the perfect maxi dress. I happened to have a McCall’s pattern that is out of print but is still available to purchase. McCall’s #7242
As soon as I received the fabric I washed it per care instructions. Wash cycle gentle in cold water and hang dry. Easy!
This time around I wanted to tissue fit this pattern. I’m a fan of Palmer and Pletsch. I recently received their new book and wanted to apply those techniques. Cut a size 14 and prepped it. As I was tissue fitting I decided that a full bust adjustment was needed.
This dress was a dream to sew up. I didn’t have to use a walking foot or stabilizers. I’m describing this fabric as a lightweight – slightly med drapy fabric. Color is vibrant and I know the shop has many other colors I want to consider in the future.
Planning out how I would cut this dress was important because there were large skirt pieces and this pattern does take up a lot of fabric.
This dress has a button front with an elastic waist. Mandarin collar that hits before the neck. I choose the bishop sleeves to give a little more flare for the upcoming fall/winter. To see more details on sewing this pattern go check out my YouTube channel. I made a video on this dress.
Tip/trick of the day:
The one thing I have learned when sewing a collar is to consider cutting out your interfacing on the bias. This is to allow it to have some give and wrap nicely around the neck. Yet you have the stability of the interfacing.
So here is the final dress!!
A HUGE thank you to Alyssa for having faith in me to showcase this fabric!